The City of Becker was incorporated in 1904, and named after the Mayor of St. Paul, George Loomis Becker, who was also land commissioner for St. Paul and Pacific Railroad. Even before incorporation, Becker was a busy town with the building of the railroad station in 1867 as numerous emigrants, mostly Scandinavian descent, searched the area for settlement and land. With the continued building of a hay press, general stores and electrical lines, Becker had come full circle and was ready for incorporation at the turn of the century.
The first 50 years were marked by the establishment of the infrastructure that is still in existence today. The business district along Hancock Street was established with institutions such as the township school, banks, and churches. Becker was truly an agricultural area, like most cities in the first half of the 20thcentury as it produced wheat, oats, corn, and potatoes.
The last fifty years have been the building blocks to what the city is today. In 1951, a four-lane highway was built that moved all of the local businesses, and traffic would now go by instead of through Becker.
In 1972, the city agreed to terms with Sherco with the plant opening in 1976. The annexation of six sections of land changed the city’s total acreage of property from 920 acres to 5,063. The $374 million project quickly paid dividends as the tax base that was created by the facility allowed for schools, the community center, and a championship golf course to be built.